Location: Corporate Office - Leesburg, VA
Requisition Number: req387
Summary: The Design Engineer will be responsible for supporting research and development efforts. Incumbent will conduct engineering research and development activities on projects of a very sophisticated nature containing technology in the areas of: biomechanics and mechanisms; molded, machined, and sheet metal parts. She/he will personally contribute to development activity by providing original concept work overall and performing detail designs for complex parts of systems and sub-components. Incumbent will generate designs and solid models with SolidWorks based on input from other engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Conceive, develop, and deliver novel engineering solutions for the development and/or enhancement of spinal implants and instruments, executed in accordance with established policies, goals, and objectives.
• Apply sound engineering principles to existing product lines to support ongoing production, use, and development of those systems, including Product Line Expansions & supplier liaison and support.
• Contribute to the development of new products and product concepts using existing and emerging technologies in accordance with design control requirements.
• Generate finished designs and solid models with SolidWorks based on input from other engineers. Prepare prototypes when needed.
• Perform component and assembly design and solid modeling using SolidWorks CAD software for complex implant and instrument systems.
• Make production drawings of mechanical devices using proper dimensioning, generate parts lists and maintain documentation control and, on occasion, make other layouts using SolidWorks or other solid modeling software.
• Write and process change notices for existing designs using Master Control.
• Liaise with other departments and outside suppliers to expedite documents, parts, and processes based on theirs and others’ designs and specifications.
• Lead and/or participate in design reviews, as applicable.
• Plan and execute multiple projects simultaneously to optimize project outcomes.
• Adapt to changing priorities and/or objectives smoothly and efficiently.
• Work willingly and cooperatively with fellow engineers and company associates.
• Maintain sufficient and accurate technical records in an engineering notebook per company policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required:
• Creative ability and design skills in mechanical or biomechanical engineering.
• Knowledge of sound mechanical engineering principles and ability to apply this knowledge for creative design solutions.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Comfortable working with and seeking optimum solutions with engineering, regulatory, clinical, quality, marketing, and manufacturing team members.
• CAD experience with some proven 3D mechanical design software system. (SolidWorks preferred.)
• Working knowledge of GD&T. (Prior experience preferred.)
• Demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly communicate concepts, ideas, and knowledge to other individuals and teams.
• Knowledge of, and preferably experience with, mechanical design processes and manufacturing processes and environments.
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Biomechanical Engineering from an accredited engineering school with 0 to 5 years experience in mechanical design.
Some experience/exposure to 3D solid modeling, preferably with SolidWorks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed here are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical drawings, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, surgeons, customers, and the general public in English.
K2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer